A unique opportunity to join a leading government advisory consultancy.
Consulum is a government advisory firm dedicated to helping governments develop, lead and deliver positive programmes that successfully promote their global interests. Our clients are government organisations and their leaders, including centre-of-government entities, ministries, authorities, agencies and state-owned enterprises.
About the role
The integration of strategy, policy and communications – in both the design and execution of programmes – sits at the heart of our philosophy. We are seeking an experienced government expert to lead projects that integrate expertise from a range of disciplines, including strategic communications, capacity building and public policy, to deliver outcomes for our clients. Projects vary depending on client need but a typical brief might include the development of strategy, communication advisory and the delivery of integrated communication programmes, the design and build of a high-performing communications function, or the delivery of high impact public policy solutions. While candidates will tend to be more expert in a specific area, it is necessary that they have enough knowledge and experience of government to be able to manage a team of experts across a range of areas, from strategy and policy, to communications and capacity building. The role is based in the Gulf, providing strategy, advice, and support to government clients across the MENA region and beyond.
Dubai, Bahrain, or Saudi Arabia
- Leading the work: Bringing together a range of different Consulum experts to deliver an integrated, high quality solution to the client need.
- Building a relationship of influence with the client: Winning the trust of the principal client and providing them insight, analysis and advice they take seriously.
- Leading the Consulum team: Ensuring Consulum team members understand the mission, are clear about their role, deliver high-quality work and generally perform to standard. A critical aspect of leadership at Consulum is to ensure every team member develops their skills and abilities and is able to progress over time.
- Achieving commercial outcomes: Ensuring we deliver on the agreed scope of work, identifying opportunities for further work and convincing clients of the need to engage Consulum for that additional work.
- Participating in business development: working with the wider Consulum team to generate leads, develop proposals and deliver pitches.
Essential skills and attributes
- Understanding of government: knowledge of how strategy, policy and communications function together in successful governments.
- Intelligence: structured, logical thinking and presentation: the ability to develop and deliver comprehensive analyses and coherent presentations.
- People: the ability to lead, influence and mentor people.
- English: excellent written and spoken business English.
- Project management: an ability to structure and manage the delivery of projects and programmes.
- Software: PowerPoint skills a distinct advantage, but not essential.
- Leadership: the ability to develop relationships of influence with clients and staff alike.
- Can-do: being resourceful, proactive, positive and problem-solving.
- Resilience and stamina: the ability to handle difficult clients and a large work-load.
- Development-orientation: curiosity and the desire to learn, grow and progress.
- Caring for others: caring about the well-being, develop and progression of more junior staff is critical to any leadership position at Consulum.
- Ambition and humility: we want people who are hungry to grow, but not at the cost of others. Being able to take people on a journey is a key part of being able to work and lead at CSM.
- At least 10 years’ experience in strategy, communications or policy, including working in or consulting to government or public sector organisations.
- Ideal backgrounds include government, public sector, management consultancy, communications consultancy, charity and think tanks.
- Experience of key organisational and human resource functions such as: recruitment, training and development, forming and building teams, establishing new ways of working, leadership development, systems and process design, policy development, etc
- Experience of client relationship building, relationship management and presenting to senior stakeholders.
Why work here
- Work for a purpose-driven organisation seeking to improve the positive performance and impact of governments.
- Be part of and contribute to some of the most interesting and challenging government reform programmes in the world.
- Be part of a high-performance culture defined by the pursuit of excellence, collaboration, collegiality, and a focus on professional development.
- Contribute to the development of the business.
- Progress with a clear and achievable path to promotion.
- Tax-free living.
Consulum’s core values
In order to be successful within Consulum, candidates and employees must suit the Consulum culture. As such, they must demonstrate the following core values:
Be the best, always
- We seek to deliver a quality of work that cannot be found anywhere else.
- We win every meeting, always impressing our clients with our effort, insight, ideas, and advice.
- We innovate constantly, always seeking new and better ways to enhance the work we do.
Delight our clients
- We listen actively and put ourselves in the shoes of our clients, enabling us to understand them and their needs fully.
- We go the extra mile for our clients, ensuring they have our support when they need it most.
- We empower our clients, helping them get better and do better.
Take a ‘One Consulum’ approach
- We collaborate, drawing on all the expertise and experience Consulum has to offer in service of our clients.
- We gladly share: our ideas, our time, our expertise, our support.
- We treat one another well: with respect, consideration, and appreciation.
Empower yourself and each other
- We actively seek to develop our skills and capabilities through reading, listening, watching, and practicing.
- We help each other master new skills, develop expertise, and achieve progress.
- We take enthusiastic advantage of every opportunity Consulum provides for professional development.
Say it like it is
- We offer our clients honest advice in a sincere effort to advance their best interests.
- We contribute with confidence, clarity, and openness to internal discussions.
- We have hard conversations when we need to, always respecting the dignity of our colleagues.
Be a pro
- We turn up on time, fully prepared and ready to deliver.
- We never violate the confidences of our clients.
- We act with integrity, always.